What exactly is SEO
SEO is an acronym of Search Engine Optimization. And this is all about getting better visibility in Search Engine Result Pages (SERP) for the websites/blogs/forums/portals to attract more visitors/traffic to it and increase the conversion rate thus ROI. SEO is a system of methods used to enhance a website’s ranking in search engine’s organic or natural (not paid) search results. This includes optimizing the on-page factors, such as using relevant keywords, making sites W3C compliant, and a whole range of important SEO techniques and off page activity includes most importantly building links to increase link popularity of websites. Then Social Media Optimization takes it place followed by social bookmarking and blog marketing.
Basically SEO is about
- Making a website relevant to the search engines and
- Making it popular by building links to it from other websites
To make a website relevant for any particular theme is executed by opting onpage optimization factors like
- Restructuring of website’s architecture
- Restructuring of URL structure
- Implementation of Meta Tags
- Implementation of Heading tags
- Removal of search engine unfriendly elements.
- Writing Search engine friendly codes and optimizing the existing ones.
- Insertion of keyword inside the content maintaining certain important parameters
- Interlinking with proper anchor texts
- Image Optimization
- Page Rank sculpting
- Sitemap submission
- Solving canonical issues
- Solving duplicate content issues
- Video optimization
- Others (Can’t afford to reveal publicly)
And to make a website popular, the site has to attract votes in terms of links from other existing websites. And this is the most important part of SEO. Just making a site relevant will not do. There has to be links pointing to it.
Link structure can be of variety of types like
- Reciprocal Links
- One-way backlinks
- 3-way back linking & other complex structures
And the linking should be done with a keyword rich link text or anchor text. Using proper anchor text increases the value of links a many fold. But variation of anchor texts is very much needed in order to avoid raising red flags in G’s control room.
Links can be built many a ways.
- By directly requesting to webmasters for backlinks
- Web directory submissions
- Article directory submissions
- links from web 2.0 sites.
- Forum signature links
- Blog directory submissions
- RSS directory submission
- Commenting on Blogs
- Other link building strategies (Can’t afford to reveal publicly)
Social Media Optimisation (SMO) :
It is about optimising websites to attract traffic from social Media like Facebook, Twitter, Linked in etc.
This is about posting existing blog posts or writing content in social bookmarking sites like Digg, Delicious, Reddit, Linked in etc. It does not help much in hiking the position on SERP but it gets traffic for the site.
Blog Marketing :
As search engine loves blogs due to its frequent updating nature, a blog can highly be integrated with websites and interlinked with the different pages (deep linking) of the host website to get the SEO benefit from it.